Mrs. Beverly Mitchell, Administrative Assistant
Ms. Royce Flagler, Sexton
Mrs. Carolyn Morris, Organist & Pianist
Mr. Ernest “Pete” Boyd, Minister of Music
Ernest ‘Pete’ Boyd, a devoted servant of God was confirmed in 1957 in The Episcopal Church St. John the Baptist, then located at the corner of Terry and Pine Streets. He has answered the clarion call of God of service in this church — giving freely and generously of his time, his talents and his treasures.
He received his first appointment as Senior Warden in 1969 and was elected for several more terms. As Senior Warden, Pete led the church in obtaining Parish status in 1985 and the building of current sanctuary in 1990. He implemented the plans for us to burn our mortgage in five years.
His love for music directed him to take on the role of Music Director for the Adult Choir. He has held this position for over thirty-five years dedicating time and energy to provide St. John’s with Episcopal singing which is second to none. In honor of his many years of service, our new pipe organ was officially dedicated as “The Ernest A. Boyd Memorial Organ,” on October 30, 2011.
He has served the community and church in numerous committees and organizations including but not limited to the Social Concerns Committee, St. John’s Men’s Fellowship Group and St. John’s Memorial Education Committee. He and his family established the Boyd Family Scholarship Fund and contributed $8,500 to endow it. He is a lifetime member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc, where he has served as Youth Advisor. He is also an active member of The Jones High School Alumni Association, The Bethune-Cookman University Alumni Association and The Jones High School Alumni Band.
Mr. Boyd and his wife Mary Frances are the parents of two daughters, Franchon and Felicia, and the grandparents of one granddaughter, Dariene.